"The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning him or her"
Main Things to Know
You must give individuals an easy way to edit their personal information.
Once a rectification request is made you must respond without undue delay and within 30 days.
If you have disclosed the information to any third parties, you must inform them of the rectifications where possible.
What you could do to be compliant:
There are a few different ways to achieve this currently in Gecko, so we will be going through the different options one by one. The first option is easier to set up but requires more manual work in the long term to process each request. The second option is slightly more difficult to configure but will automate the process going forward.
Option 1 : Data rectification form + manual process
2. You may also want to include a link to the form or landing page at the bottom of your emails or in other types of communications that would permit this.
3. Configure a workflow on the form to trigger a message to your Data Protection Officer, or any other member of staff who would be responsible for taking action. You may also wish to add additional labels or update contact fields automatically on the go through the workflows, which would allow you to easily filter your requests in the future.
4. Once the rectifications are made, inform the student, as well as any third parties with whom the data was shared (such as agents or external marketing firms) of the rectification.
5. Gecko will store any adjustments made to contact fields and you will be able to see the data that was rectified. However, you might still want to add a note or a label on the contact to acknowledge the change.
Option 2: Data rectification form + autofilling form fields
1. Set a form that would manage data rectification requests. This will be the form that students will need to fill out in order to request a data change. It should just contain a few basic fields such as name and email. You can see an example of such a form here. We will be referring to this form as the "Data Change Request Form" going forward.
2. Next you will need a form that will allow students to edit their personal information. Gecko forms allow you to pre-fill form fields with data, you can find out more about this feature on this page and we would also recommend watching this video. We will be using this ability to set up a form with all the contact fields we want to allow students to edit. See an example of how a form like this can look like here. We will be referring to this form as the "Pre-populated form" going forward.
3. Now that we have the forms created, we will need to set up an email template. We will set up a workflow on the Data Change Request Form to send an email using this template to the student when they complete the form. The email should have a link to the Pre-populated Form with all the contact information pre-filled in the form fields as per the video/article mentioned in step 2. To see what the email looks like, just fill out this form here.
4. Add the necessary workflows on the Data Change Request Form to trigger the email you created that links to the Pre-populated form. You may also want to update the value in a contact field or add a label to the contact at this stage to be able to filter and monitor such requests in the system going forward.
5. Add some workflows to the Pre-populated form to email the student and notify them of the successful change. You may also want to notify internal users of the successful change through a workflow.
6. Once the rectifications are made, you may want to notify third parties with whom the data was shared (such as agents or external marketing firms) of the rectification.
7. Gecko will store any adjustments made to contact fields and you will be able to see the data that was rectified. However, you might still want to add a note or a label on the contact to acknowledge the change.
Data rectification with Gecko Protect:
The new Gecko Protect add-on offers a dedicated feature for managing data rectification requests. With Gecko Protect, you can generate a unique URL within your outbound comms that will direct students to a Contact Portal. Students are able to confirm their identity via email or SMS and edit their personal data via the portal. Here's an example of how the contact portal page will look like for a student:
Any changes made by students are logged in a dedicated area in settings:
Any questions? Feel free to start a live chat with a member of our support team or explore the rest of our academy at your leisure.