Looking to track UTM information without having to use Google Analytics? Click here to see how you monitor and analyse UTM information using Gecko's in-built tools.
GeckoCapture allows for your forms to easily integrate with Google Analytics; letting you track how users interact with your forms.
Setting this up in Gecko is as simple as heading into the form you'd like to track and clicking Settings > Analytics and pasting your Google Analytics ID into the appropriate box.
But what is Google Analytics, and how can it help you track your form?
For those who haven't encountered Google Analytics (GA) before, it is a freemium (first 50 tracking ID's are free) to use web analytics service designed to track and report on website traffic. Practically speaking, tracking your embedded form will allow you to gain insight into:
- volume of impressions (visitors) to your form over time.
- which country your form visitors are from.
- how many visitors bounced off your form (left without performing actions).
This information can help you to identify behaviours that can inform future form design, communication strategies and more. Further insight can be gained by using Google Tag Manager to track individual interactions such as clicks, submissions and views.
To the uninitiated, the setup and management of GA can be daunting. That's why we've put together this short guide to walk you through, step-by-step, what you'd need to go to get up and running with this feature.
Setting up Google Analytics
Head to google.com/analytics. Navigate to the top-right corner and click Sign In > Analytics.
- Log in.
- or, create a new account by clicking Sign Up.
New users will then be prompted to create:
- What would you like to track - Set this to Website.
- Account Name - Set this to the name of your institution. (Note: only applicable for new Google Analytics users.)
- Website Name - This will be the name of your Property. Each property is granted a unique Google Analytics ID.
- Website URL - Please enter this as https//app.geckoform.com
- Industry Category - Set this to Jobs and Education
- Reporting Time Zone - Set as applicable to you.
For contacts who already have an account, after logging in, click Admin on the bottom-left of the nav bar, then navigate to + Create New Property, before following the above bullet points.
We've now generated a tracking ID (in the format UA-XXXXX...) and a property to send our tracking information back to. We now need to set up Goals to determine what data we'd like our tracking ID to collect.
Broadly speaking, Goals can be broken down into four separate categories:
- Destination - a specific location loads (e.g. a unique website or thank you page)
- Duration - the length of time a session lasts.
- Pages/ Screens per session - X amount of pages viewed by a user.
- Event - A link clicked, a video played whilst a user is visiting your page. To be used in conjunction with Google Tag Manager.
To create goals, click Admin on the bottom-left of the nav bar. Now navigate to the View table and click on Goals.
For information on how to create and define your Goals, be sure to check out the relevant Google support page, here. For wider information on Google Analytics, be sure to check out their support page, here.
If you're interested in adding collected Google Analytics/Google Tag Manager data to embedded Gecko forms on your website (to allow for the information to be synchronised with your CRM), please contact support for more information.
Any questions? Feel free to start a live chat with a member of our support team or explore the rest of our academy at your leisure.