First impressions count. When a student receives an email from you, the first things they see are the email sender, the subject line and the preview line.
Depending on the email client your student uses to manage their emails, HTML code - which makes for a weak first impression:
If you've ever encountered this issue, or wish to proactively prevent it, this article will walk you through setting this up.
Below is a short snippet of code that you'll need to add to your email template. Simply copy it, changing the YOUR PREVIEW LINE GOES HERE text to whatever you'd like your preview line to read. Be sure to only change this text and nothing else:
<p style="display: none !important; visibility: hidden; opacity: 0; color: transparent; height: 0; width: 0; font-size: 0px; mso-hide: all; max-height: 0; line-height: 0;
"><span>YOUR PREVIEW LINE GOES HERE</span></p>
Depending on the type of email you're looking to send in Gecko, your next steps will look slightly different:
Using the Drag & Drop email builder
Customising your preview line text with the Drag & Drop email builder is easy:
- Copy the above code, changing YOUR PREVIEW LINE GOES HERE to whatever you'd like your preview line to read.
- Open your Drag & Drop email template and click the Row tab.
- Add a new row to the very top of your email.
- Click the Content tab and drag an HTML content block into your newly created row.
- Click the HTML block and, in the Content Properties on the right side of the screen, delete the existing code and replace it with the code you copied earlier.
- Hit Save Changes in the top-right corner.
Using the Basic Editor or Import HTML Builder
- Open your email template.
- (Basic Editor only) Click the < > button to access your email Source Code.
- Search for the beginning of your email <body> (this comes typically after the </style> and </head> tags.)
- Paste the code provided in this article immediately below the <body> tags.
- Hit OK and Save Changes.
If you're struggling to find the beginning of the <body> section, simply open a conversation with support and we'd be happy to help.
Any questions? Feel free to start a live chat with a member of our support team or explore the rest of our academy at your leisure.