Put most simply Skills are an advanced way of responding to students incoming questions. Want to provide them with multiple options? Redirect them to a particular webpage? Allow them to email, call or text you with the click of a button? Assign a conversation to a team or collect data from a student? We've got you covered. 💪
The above video is long! Looking for guidance on a particular skill? Here are the timestamps to help out 👍:
- Display list - (02:40 - 09:27)
- Suggest answer - (09:41 - 12:41)
- Data capture - (12:42 - 16:57)
- Gecko Form - (17:58 - 18:46)
- Workflow action - (18:48 - 20:38)
The most popular of the skill types, and with good reason. They allow you to provide users with up to three buttons to click, as well as space to provide a message giving context to said buttons. The URL field may be used to point people in the direction of a particular webpage, or for the following HTML tags:
In the above examples, mailto: would open a new email in the email client of the student's device, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. tel: would open the native phone app / VoIP app and put in 012345678910 as the number to be called, and sms: would open the native phone SMS app and add 012345678910 as the number for the text to be sent to.
For more information on the Display list skill, feel free to check out this article. Overall, this skill is:
- 😍 Great for providing clean URL links to webpages, or allowing students to quickly contact teams using the mailto, tel or sms tags.
- 💔 Not suitable where more than x3 buttons need to be provided to the student.
The second most popular skill type. If you see a GeckoBot providing more than 3 clickable options, it's likely this skill that has been used. In addition to there being no cap (other than your imagination!) on the number of answer suggestions you can provide, you're given space to provide a message giving context to said suggestions.
For more information on the Suggest answer skill, click here.
- 😍 Great for providing students with unlimited multiple-choice options.
- 💔 The multi-choice options you're linking to need to already be built before you can link to them.
Collect data and store it against the contact record. Simple. After selecting this skill, you'll be prompted to add a Confirm message. This gives you the opportunity to explain why you'll be collecting details from the student, as well as notifying them that, during the skill, they'll be unable to ask your bot any other questions. After reading your Confirm message, students will be given a yes/no option to continue.
Pick the Custom fields you'd like your skill to ask students for, and customise how you'd like your bot to phrase these questions.
Finally, add an Exit message. This will be displayed once the student has concluded the skill.
For more information on the Data capture skill, click here.
- 😍 Great for collecting critical information for follow-up communication.
- 💔 Unliked the Gecko Form skill, there's no ability to have workflows run after this skill is completed.
Important note: this skill is only usable by clients with GeckoEngage accounts.
Similar to the Data capture skill but with one key difference - instead of filling in custom fields, your bot will be filling in your GeckoCapture forms instead - allowing you to run workflows, sign students up to events and much more.
For more information on the Gecko form skill, click here.
- 😍 Workflows! CRM integration! Sign students up to events and give them their tickets then and there!
- 💔 Only available to users with a GeckoEngage account.
The ultimate utility skill. Use this skill to dynamically assign conversations to individuals and teams, to trigger bespoke messages, or to add tags and notes
For more information on the Workflow action skill, click here.
- 😍 Versatile. Great at allowing you to triage conversations to the correct teams.
- 💔 No way to update a custom field.