This series teaches you how to use GeckoChat as a fully functioning human-to-human live chat platform.
Missed part 1? Click here.
In this article, part two of three, we learn to converse with students and how to manage our conversations.
In a hurry? No problem. Below are the timestamps for each topic discussed in the video. Feel free to jump the topics you're less familiar with!
- ✂️ Filtering conversations: (0:23 - 02:27)
- ❌ Closing conversations: (02:52 - 03:06)
- 👀 Conversation view: (03:07 - 03:25)
- 🗣 Responding in conversations: (03:27 - 07:11)
- ↪️ Assigning conversations to other Agents / Teams: (07:13 - 08:18)
- 📈 Contact data / Metadata: (08:18 - 09:47)
- 💾 Saved replies: (09:51 - 12:07)
- ✔️ Available / unavailable: (12:18 - 12:54)
- 🔎 Searching for previous conversations: (13:01 - 13:35)
- 👋 Initiating New Conversations (Outbound messaging): (13:41 - 14:37)
- 📲 GeckoChat mobile app: (14:39 - 15:16)
Managing your conversations with students in GeckoChat is simple. To begin viewing conversations, click the Conversations tab on the top nav-bar.
At the top of the page, you'll have a range of options/filters from which to choose:
- New Conversation: allows you to initiate conversations by email or text messaging to multiple contacts at a time. Search existing contacts on your account, or enter valid email addresses or cell numbers to create new contacts on the fly. Top tip: You may paste in comma separated email addresses or cell numbers to send your message to multiple contacts at once!
- My Conversations: this filter will only show you conversations you have been assigned to, or conversations a team you are part of have been assigned. Note: sending a message in any conversation will also automatically assign your user to the conversation.
- Unassigned: this filter contains all conversations that are yet to be responded to and are not assigned to any agents or teams.
- Open: a full list of all currently open conversations, irrespective of whether or not they are assigned to you. Note: this differs for agents with Restrict Contact Visibility toggled to 'On'. These users will never see conversations not currently assigned to them.
- Closed: a filter to show all conversations which have been closed. Conversations can be deleted or re-opened from this area.
- Sent: this filter will show all unanswered outbound messages sent via the New Conversation button.
- Assigned to Bot: this filter will show you all ongoing conversations that your bot is currently taking part in.
Once a conversation comes, clicking the card on the left-side of the Conversations view will open the conversation, allowing you to read any messages that have been sent by the student.
This view will contain information on the channel the message has been sent on, the time and date it was sent, whether or not the message has been read and, for live-chat, whether a student is currently online or offline. A green circle in the bottom-right corner of the student's initials denotes they are online, whereas a grey circle denotes they are currently offline.
If the conversation is one in the Assigned to Bot filter, you'll also see which Answer your bot has used to respond to the student's message. Clicking the answer name will take you directly to the answer used; useful if you spot a spelling mistake or erroneous information!
To respond to any messages, click the text window at the bottom of the page and type in your reply, clicking the Send button (or pressing alt+enter on Windows, or ⌘+enter on Mac) to send your message.
In addition to plain text, simply double-clicking or highlighting any text will reveal rich text editing options. Below the message composition area are a series of icons, each with a unique function:
- 📄 Notes Mode - allows you to leave internal notes in a conversation. These notes can be viewed by other agents. Students will never see these.
- 📎 Upload Attachment - allows you to upload any type of non-executable (.exe) file to share with the student.
- 📥 Download Conversation - downloads the full transcript of the conversation as a .CSV file, for easy sharing with the student. The transcript will also include any internal notes.
- 🏷 Use a Saved Reply - pre-prepared responses to questions that come in time and again. Create these in Settings > Saved Replies.
- 🎫 Mailmerge Tag Builder - dynamically populate your message with contact or meta-information on the contact.
- ↩️ CC and BCC - this option is only available for email channels. Allows you to CC (carbon copy) or BCC (blind carbon copy) additional email addresses into your message.
- ↪️ Forward Conversation - this option is only available for email channels. Allows you to forward your message and all prior messages to specified email addresses.
- ✏️ Exclude Email Signature - this option is only available for email channels. Toggle whether you want GeckoChat to append (add to the bottom of) any messages sent via an email channel with the email signature set in your Agent profile.
To close a conversation, simply click the tick icon at the top of the conversation. To reassign a conversation to another user, click either Assign to: at the top of the conversation, or the name of the team or agent currently assigned to the conversation. Multiple agents and/or teams can be assigned concurrently.